Friday, January 2, 2009

Photo Album.

Last week we visited dear old friends.


After the mandatory huge farm fresh meal and nightcaps we all sunk into various peices of furniture and started in on the reminiscing.

And my friend she brought out a photo album of her and her husband's trip of the Nahanni river to show me something. And as I flipped through it I caught a glimpse of two kids I knew. One, a gril, wearing a pretty rainbow coloured dress with a guitar on her shoulder. The boy, dark, big smile, holding a kite string, the kite somewhere outside the frame of the photo. Side by side, sun pouring down, looking happy.

For years we longed for a simple domestic life, full of everyday worries and concerns, wanting to settle down but too restless. Too much heartache to experiece, too many adventures apart from each other to get down to settling. Sitting on planes, heart full of love and sadness I would think of the time when we would just be together with our children. When we would be a bit more like the couples that seemed to surround us more and more as the years went by.

Now we are that couple. those people. Concerns being paying a mortgage, needing more bread, getting here and there on time, encouraging our kids. I'm glad it happened when it did. I'm glad there was so much between that picture and now.

What we have now is just what we thought we wanted then. It was good to be reminded.

1 comment:

crazymumma said...

So you tell me in the schoolyard yeah I posted today not giving me one hint as to the beauty of this post.
And now I am all teary.

I am so glad you are where you are and how you got here.