Friday, January 30, 2009

Furrrr

Lately I have been warmly touched by folks who are generally interested and respectful of animals. Creatures of the natural world. I'm finding myself leaning toward birding as a hobby and am thrilled when I realize that people still do revere the magic and deeper instinct that animals bring to our lives.
Coyotes have revisited the local park, which is wonderful. I went for a long walk today through the snowy paths and heavy branches...but they did not reveal themselves. I was also happy to hear that my close friend saw, and then chose to write about, seeing a bald eagle while tobogganing with frenzy all around her. Animals make us stop and consider something outside of ourselves and keep us connected to the grand heartbeat of earth. Much like an ocean will, or mountains, or a storm.
As I was fussing about the kitchen last night trying to put something together for supper before I rushed out to my hockey game, I heard a song on the radio that made me stop to listen. It was such a quaint, beautiful little folk song...and I would like to share the first verse of words. The band is called Blitzen Trapper and the song is called Furrr...

Yeah when I was only seventeen,
I could hear the angels whispering,
So I droned into the woods
and wanderend aimlessly about until
I heard my mother shouting through the fog
It turned out to be the howling of a dog
or a wolf, to be exact
the sound sent shivers down my back
but I was drawn into the pack and before long,
they allowed me to join in
and sing their song
So from the cliffs and highest hill
we would gladly get our fill
howling endlessly and shrilly at the dawn
And I lost the taste for judging right from wrong
For my flesh had turned to fur and my thoughts
they surely were
turned to instinct
and obedience to god.

1 comment:

crazymumma said...

you totally know how much I love those lyrics.